Saturday 27 February 2010

HELP!!!!!!!

I was in school in those days, I believe around eighth standard. I read somewhere that plastics are not good both for our health and the earth. I was a kind who never believed a thing right in the first time. But when the reports came repeatedly I started believing. What do I do to stop getting harmed?  I thought that not using plastic bags would help and so whenever sent me on shopping chores I used a cloth bag. It was a shoulder bag hung across your body, the ones which are a fashion statement today but at that time it was old fashioned. My friends, who stayed nearby, used to tease me seeing me with this old fashioned bag. But I still went on using it. I resisted using plastic bags and would straightaway refuse when the shopkeeper offered one. This is something I still follow and still get comments about.

Recently somebody asked me as to how it would help if I alone practise it. I answered “ what if one person gets thoughtful about what I am doing and starts following the same and what if another follows that person. It would become a chain process and maybe help in preserving the world.”

I am not boasting, I am not preaching, but I am just persuading or in fact pleading. Mr.Pachauri and his contemporaries say that Himalayas will be no more in a few years. People sit across square and round tables and blame each other for the present scenario. But are they the persons who can bring in the change.

In my view, NO. The real force who can bring about the change is you and me. It is not only in the case of environment but also in every case in which you think there should be change. Be it the condition of the roads or the cleanliness of our cities or whatever. Everything can start only from you and me. If you think there should be a change, no, it is not Mr. Obama who should give the speech but rather it is you and me who should act.
How many of you have spit on the roads and complained about it when u see someone else does it? How many of you have been almost hit by a vehicle while walking on the road and complained why there are no footpaths and even if they are present why they are dirty. How many of you switch of your vehicle while waiting in at the traffic signal? How many of you expect and preach the government about the various things but never practice them.

Have you observed the difference between our trains and aeroplanes? While travelling in a plane you are the posh urban citizen and in the train.... don’t tell me you feel like home in trains and you wish like doing anything you want in trains.

We say that we want to increase literacy but the question is what really literacy means. The other day I saw a well bred boy with good education leave a water pipe open after use. The “close your tap when not in use “ad has been here for years but it has created no impact in any class of people.

I suppose whoever reads my blog will be well bred and highly educated but then have you tried to make a change. When the world leaders where sitting in Copenhagen what were u doing, opening a water tap and allowing to flow as if only thing you have in abundance is water. Be careful, because one day the glaciers will melt down and water will be so abundant that you will not have earth to use it.

Many would argue that they have no time for these things. I would like to ask “If you do not have time to plan and work for you and your posterity’s future then why are you working?” It has no meaning. You do not have to get down to the roads and create furore as in movies but do your bit in the way you can.

Finally look around you. Find out what you want to be changed and let you be person who initiates the change. Through this if I  have hurt anybody I am really sorry but all I ask is HELP to make a place worth living  for my posterity and I hope , you, my friends will always help a friend in need proving that you are friends indeed.


5 comments:

  1. Real Good one Gautam! This is something of my kind!And i dont wanna jus restrict by appreciating you but did rather respond to your call through ur blog title "Help" (though i feel its not apt as it is basic responsibility of everyone!) I wont promise to blacklist plastic bags as they form such an integral part of my everyday activities..but will surely restrict it to only valid needs..maybe sooner blacklist too!

    True we cant expect Obama to come and advise on how we go about our environmental issues..(But wanted to ask..on a lighter note!! do we have to look up to American president..even for examples?? we have a very able Prime Minister Manmohan Singh..or come on APJ ABdul Kaalam :P jus kidding..ur field..ur examples!!

    Yupe Educated well bred class really doesn mean the way they shud..best example..my office..believed to be full of professionals..highly intelluctual ppl...they dont realise to stand in a queue when needed too..God Help!!

    The point on himlalayas reflects the grave truth tht we face(or maybe our near future faces!) But again on a lighter note (and FYI Mr.Pachauri was recently pulled up by "The Telegraph" for all the wrong reasons..i think it was something like his organisation used a students research doc on some other issue in the reports on Himalayas (man dunno abt India's future..but India's environmental issues are not in the right hands :P)

    You always have Indian Railways on the back of your mind or what!! every blog has a mention!! i think Sashi Tharoor popularly twitted regarding the poor state of our Airways too!! so be more critical on other means of transport too!! or rather equally critical on every means :P

    Yea i dunno..if from eight years till now, your actions triggered any chain reaction..but am sure thru this mail it shud!! helping u ther ofcourse..n proving to b a friend indeed :P keep going :P in the same vein

    ReplyDelete
  2. got a new dimension 4 d jolna ! thanks! glad tat u hv bloggd unto seek a solution tats countable! ur questions & quotations stand 4 "YOU MUST BE THE CHANGE YOU WISH TO SEE IN THE WORLD".HELP!!! a gud gandhian try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi gautam,
    Yup. I accept that the action "change" is with in us. We can, if we think it broad way and put it in action.It shows your perfection rather than any thing to me. Its quite normal to you dude.hope, as you expected, each one who read this blog would follow.... can say would be perfect in their life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello buddy..

    nice one...

    our ancestors taken an major concern on environment..bcos of tht action only we are now enjoyin all resources.....defntly our followers blame us for our carelessness...

    as u said..thrs no solution in talkin ...we have to take some r small actions..to safeguard....our earth..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm.... Tats Gautam..I still remember ur talk on water(dont remember which sem though)...Really a gud move.This is a very practical view that u have cum up with.."PEOPLE SHOULD ACT RATHER THAN DISCUSS".People always hesitate for initiation for such kind of things.Hope we can form a gud group through ur blogs and try bringing about a "DIFFERENCE".

    ReplyDelete