Sunday 5 August 2018

Book Review - 4: Table for One by Neha Bindal

Table for One is a narration of some events in the life of thirty year old Taara. The book talks about the various experiences she has when she fulfills her life long dream over a period of a month. The story is the travel of Taara from her life, which clings to past memories, to a new and fresh “let go” format.

The most significant point of the story is the vivid descriptions of the scenarios. Also, the reflections of Taara's reminiscences of her past strike the chord with some of us.

“While growing up, I always felt an inherent urge to please my parents.”

“All these posts made me believe that my life sucked and even though I had no real problem to deal with at the time; no life-threatening disease, or loss of a loved one to death or any severe financial issue, I was still unhappy.”

“I always complained about getting too much attention from everywhere but when I didn’t get any, I felt bad.”


However, I find that apart from the main character, the others have been less detailed. Though her parents are given much importance initially, the later part finds least mentioning, to the extent that it is unbelievable. In most junctures, Taara faces a conflict of emotions, the shift in emotions, abrupt. The end of the story also seems to be abrupt and made me want for more, though I felt that the author has expressed her point.

Overall, for me the book is somewhere like the way we eat our food today, half chewed and swallowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment